Sew Can She is one of my favorite crafting blogs that shares wonderful tutorials of every type of craft you could want. I subscribe to her daily newsletters emails and there is something inspiring every day. One of my favorite features of her blog is the Show Off Saturday Linky party, where crafters can link up and share their latest craft finishes and works in progress.
Recently I discovered a tutorial for a Kindle case that would fold up and prop your Kindle up for hands free reading. Both my daughter and I had pinned this tutorial to our Pinterest boards, so I thought it had to be a good project to try out.
I used the Prop-Up Kindle Table Case tutorial by The Inspired Wren blog. I chose a turquoise multi-colored chevron print and turquoise solid cotton fabrics from my stash. This was a winning combination since my daughter loves turquoise and chevrons. She has used both in decorating much of her house.
The tutorial’s instructions were very well written. I chose to add a layer of fusible batting to the lining fabric while constructing the case. I thought it would provide some extra protection to her Kindle and it helped make the fabric just a little bit more sturdy feeling. It has been a while since I have had to make any button holes so I was thankful I decided to make a test button hole on scrap material. I forgot that the button hole sewing sequence starts with zigzagging in reverse, so my test button hole ended up on the other side of my markings. After learning that, my button hole on the Kindle case ended up a success the first time on my actual fabric. I found a fun gold metal button that seemed to coordinate nicely with the fabrics also in my sewing supplies stash. The tutorial called for using cardboard strips to make the boards that are inserted in the case to help hold up the Kindle. I happened to find some old linoleum type tiles in my sewing room that I used previously to make a case for my grandson’s tablet. I was lucky the tile pieces were pretty close to the size I needed for this project. I took an old rotary cutter and scored the tile to correct size and was very lucky that they snapped off exactly on the line where I wanted them to.
I really liked how the Kindle case turned out and it does function well as a way to prop and hold the Kindle for hands free reading.
I am linking up my post with SewCanShe Showoff Saturday.
I am linking up this week with Elizabeth Dackson’s Don’t Call Me Betsy blog. She is holding her first ever Quilty Flashback Friday by sharing one of her first quilts and asking other quilters to share some of their quilting history. I have been a long time reader of her blog and thought it would be fun to participate as well.
Elizabeth and a few of the other quilters were sharing quilts they made from 2010 and earlier. I am sharing my first quilts I made our grandsons in 2010. My actual first quilts were made in the early 90’s and quite a few of them I either did not get photos taken of them or have misplaced the photos over the years.
I made our grandson a John Deere quilt using Crazy Mom Quilt’s Fair and Square quilt tutorial. I had purchased two sets of fat quarters of 7 different John Deere prints. I had used some of the fabric to make a charity quilt that was auctioned off for a friend who had health issues at the time. Our grandson loves tractors so I thought I would have him a quilt for his bedroom. The Fair and Square quilt tutorial had great instructions and made a fun quilt.
I decided to get extra creative and make the quilt more personalized by appliqueing his name Shaderek to the back of his quilt. I found a font that I liked and sized the letters to the size I wanted and printed them out. I used a light heat and bond to fuse the letters to my quilt backing. I used a satin stitch to machine applique the letters to finish off the edges. I have used this technique to add names to other quilts and all the recipients have loved them.
I had some extra fabric left over and decided to play with my circle cutting ruler and cut out circles of the various John Deere fabrics and make a smaller quilt that my grandson could take with him in the car so he could leave the other one at home on his bed. I cut the circles in 4, 5 and 6 inch diameters. I fused and machine appliqued them in the same fashion as the other quilt and just applied them in a pleasing random row pattern.
I am linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts Finish It Up Friday.
I thought I would share one of my recent quilt finishes as a Throwback Thursday blog post.
I made the Candy Scraps paper pieced quilt for a graduation gift for our niece. I used the Moda Bake Shop tutorial by Corey Yoder.
I started with 320 little 2.5 inch squares in 18 different shades of red and yellow, that I cut from fat quarters I purchased from JoAnn Fabrics. They were sewn into 160 pairs, paper pieced onto gray lattice strips, added 160 triangles to making 80- 8.5 inch squares. I spent 2 hours just weeding off the 400 strips of paper from the backs of the quilt blocks.
I thought for some reason I had 3 weeks to complete this project, guess I read the calendar wrong as when I started only had 12 days. I got it completed on time, with the help of last 3 nights up to 2 AM sewing. I have not paper pieced a quilt in like 10 years. Oh, this will be easier than strip piecing since I am only having to create one block. Yeah, right. The original quilt pattern only made 48 blocks for a small throw size quilt. Thankfully I can do Math and was able to make it the size I wanted and it actually worked out. I really like how nicely the reds and yellows went together with the gray. I think the red and yellow quilt was well received, especially since our niece is enrolled this fall at Iowa State University.